1906 - 1998
Add to your profile and receive first notice when new works come available.
The Prices paid for all sold works are confidential. For Priceing details please call us at (250) 537-2421.
Henry George Glyde was born in Luton, Bedfordshire, England in 1906. He trained as an artist at the Brassey Institute in Hastings, from 1920-1926, and at the Royal College of Art in London from 1926-1930. In 1931 he married Hilda Mabel Allwood.
Glyde moved his family to Canada in 1935, where he joined the Art Department of the Provincial Institute of Technology and Art in Calgary, Alberta. He served as head of the Art Department there from 1936 until 1946. He spent many of his summers between 1936 and 1967 teaching art courses at the Banff School of Fine Art, and was also involved in teaching community art courses in smaller centres such as Vegreville, Grande Prairie and Lethbridge from 1937 to 1945.
In 1943 he and A.Y. Jackson were chosen by the National Gallery of Canada to visually document the building of the Alaska Highway. Glyde moved to Edmonton in 1946 to establish the art program at the University of Alberta, and he served as head of the program until 1966. He is well-known for his oils and murals, figurative and landscape paintings, and for his exploration of allegorical themes.
In 1949 Glyde was elected an Academician of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts. In 1958 he was awarded a Canada Council Senior Fellowship, and spent a year of study in Europe. He retired to the west coast in 1966, where he lived primarily on Pender Island. During much of his retirement he continued to teach art and was involved in workshops, classes, and consulting. In 1982 he received an honorary doctorate from the University of Alberta. He died in Victoria.